Friday, July 31, 2026

If It's Tuesday, It Must Be Belgium

… is the name of a 1969 comedy film about a tour group in Europe. I think I saw it ages ago and recalling it now makes me curious about finding it. But why am I thinking of it? Because now, if it’s Saturday, it must be Tuesday. 

 

Because of a one-year schedule glitch, our course started Friday night, will end Tuesday night and our “weekend” was yesterday—Thursday. A good exercise in flexible thinking! We decided that the first day was “Do” (as in do-re-mi) and named the first five days accordingly. Doesn’t work quite as well on the second week, but simply naming it Day 6 works fine. We end with a half-day on the 10th day and next year, all normal calendar order will be restored. 

 

So Wednesday afternoon was the equivalent of our normal Friday afternoon, which we ritually mark with a song composed by my Orff teacher, Mary Shamrock. It’s titled “Thank God It’s Friday” and includes the line “I’ve had enough of this Orffing for a while!” to send people into a welcome two-day weekend. 

 

My forever colleague James Harding revealed yet another face of his endlessly creative mind and at 5:00 am on Wednesday, composed this poem he had us recite before singing.In so doing, we were able to keep the original words to Mary’s song.



So we had Thursday off—laundry, ritual brunch, a walk on the beach and the annual evening Untalent (unprecedented, unbelievable, uninhibited, talent) Show, whose 30 acts never once failed to disappoint. Back to school after the one-day “weekend” and tomorrow are the Practicums where each of the 33 students (in groups of 2 or 3) teach to show what they have absorbed of dynamic, fun, effective pedagogical teaching in their three summers with us. If I think about it, it makes no sense to have this annual Tuesday ritual on a Saturday, but hey, I’m flexible. It’s simply Day 7 and well-timed. No matter how engaging or brilliant a teacher might be (I’m not claiming this for myself, but there is ample testimony from students!), the apex of the pedagogical mountain is to turn it over to the students—kids or adults— and let them create the music or do the teaching. 

 

As I said to them tonight as we set the final order, the hardest thing someone can ask you is to “just be yourself.” But that’s exactly what I’m hoping for, what I’m inviting them to do. To be just nervous enough that they work hard to prepare, but the moment the starter’s gun is fired—“On your mark! Get set! Teach!” to simply teach in the full splendor of their character. I told them that having seen that character in class, I’m bubbling over with anticipation to get to enjoy their unique voice and quirky and fun style. I suspect it will be a great way to start the month. 

 

And quite a month it has been! It began in New Orleans, traveled west to San Francisco, then further west to China, then back to San Francisco and down to Carmel Valley. Teaching two Jazz Courses, the equivalent of a Level 1 Orff Course, a Level III Orff Course. Some 185 teachers who hopefully will take their new insights and material and inspiration back to some five to ten thousand children who I will never meet, but hopefully, will be just a little bit happier because of this work. 

 

My only regret in this otherwise most marvelous month? I didn’t get to spend Tuesday in Belgium. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.