As promised, here’s a sample of the kind of question and answer I imagine for the next “season” of my Podcast, a kind of cross between Dear Abby (Dougie?) and Ask Dr. Doug. Whether or not you’re a music teacher, the principles can be useful for any teacher— or even parents, for that matter. Here’s the question:
I am an elementary music teacher in a small town in Montana. I've been enjoying your blog, books, and podcast. I have a question if you have a moment to offer some advice. I love the idea of teaching through silence (explaining less and going through a musical activity without speech). When I've attempted this it is sometimes pretty tricky for the kids to maintain silence for very long. When a student starts making noise, I find myself getting frustrated and wanting to stop and address the issue which seems to take the magic out of the moment. Do you have suggestions for redirecting those students who are making it hard to maintain the magic? Thank you for your time,
And my answer:
Great question! I often begin workshops with teachers teaching two or three pieces over a 45-minute period without saying a word. But I will sing or clap or recite a rhyme for them to echo. Silent teaching is not actually silent— there’s musical sound, but no unnecessary explanations. I’m giving instructions, but with the body and gesture and hands and face, like a conductor communicates so much information to the symphony orchestra or a jazz musician shapes the music through the music itself. The teachers are often astounded by how much we can accomplish in this way. And then I warn them, “But don’t expect this to go smoothly with kids the first few times you try it. They often will shout out, “Why aren’t you talking?!!! What’s wrong with the teacher?!!!” and the whole magical bubble bursts.
My general philosophy about any “classroom management problem” is to anticipate the problem and make a game out of it. So one remedy is to write on the board:
” Kids, my throat hurts today and I can’t talk, so let’s see if I can teach this lesson without talking. Just watch me. And remember that like any lesson, you shouldn’t talk out of turn. Raise your hand if you think we can do it! Okay, let’s go!”
A related strategy is make up a story. Wear a nice shirt and once the kids enter and are settled in a circle or other formation, ask them:
“Put your thumb up if you like my shirt.” If most liked it, you might go on:
“I see some of you agree with me— I really like this shirt. It belonged to my friend and every time he wore it, I complemented him. One day I told him how I went to a workshop where the teacher taught us for 30 minutes without saying a word and at the end, we had made fabulous music. He didn’t believe it was possible and so I said, ‘Well, if I can do it, will you give me your shirt? And if I can’t, I’ll give you any of my shirts that you want.’ Then he added, ‘But the kids also have to not talk while you’re teaching.’ I agreed and we shook hands.
So this was a few years ago and I had a fabulous class of ______ graders who I thought could do it. Do you think we did it? Well, here’s the proof—I’m wearing his shirt! Since then, I’ve always been looking for another class as great as that one and I’ve never found one yet. But you guys are pretty fabulous. I think you might be the ones. Shall we try it?
And by the way, he learned not to offer me any more shirts. So there’s no reward if we do. Just the pleasure of meeting the challenge. And if you do it, I will be telling stories about you in the years to come! Ready? Let’s go!”
Of course, none of these are foolproof, but they’re intriguing and playful and motivating to the kids in the right way. Offering them a challenge rather than a “Do this—or else!” command. And if one kid talks out of turn, you don’t have to get angry. Just a playful, “Ohhh! We were so close. Oh well!” Or “Shall we try again?” Or “Maybe another day.” No blame, no shame, just keep it light and playful.
Give it a try— give it many tries— and let me know how it goes!
Kids are kids and teachers are people with different levels of tolerance, but these kind of playful ways to motivate students and keep the energy light and fun are gamechangers. It’s a big part of how I can still be teaching kids for over 50 years and not feel burn-out. Indeed, feel more energized after the classes than when I began. Give it a go!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.