Sunday, July 19, 2026

Post for a Rainy Day

And so. A farewell dinner at a lovely vegetarian restaurant I ate at twice. The miracle of packing my suitcase and actually fitting everything (new gifts included) in! 5:15am awakening and farewell to my lovely hotel room, quick airport breakfast with my hosts, a fond goodbye waving as I passed through the four levels of security to the inner chambers of the airport. 

 

Now at the airport in Seoul with a three-hour layover before the final leg. Amongst other wonders, the ability to get online without a VPN— amazing!

But as these posts testify, China has been mighty good to me and I’m quite happy with the handshake deal to return in October of 2027—especially with cooler Fall weather. 

 

Meanwhile, three final comments from one of the students that mean the world to me and may be a future chicken soup for a rainy, under-the-weather day. Both impressed by the eloquence and insight of noticing what I value in both myself and others and the generosity in sharing it with me. 

 

• Before the workshop began, I already knew you are a world-renowned master of Orff Schulwerk. I assumed such a top-tier expert would run strict, distant classes with rigid standards. But stepping into your classroom completely changed my preconceptions. You carry yourself like a kind, forgiving elder, patient, sincere and fully accepting of everyone without judgment.

 

• Countless educators claim to put humanity at the core of their teaching, yet most of them treat it as nothing more than an empty slogan. In contrast, you fully embody inclusiveness, ease, respect and equality in every single detail of your lessons. 

 

• True masters simplify complexity. You possess profound and sophisticated professional knowledge, yet you make the beauty of music accessible to every single person. This is the highest level of teaching, and it is exactly the kind of educator I aspire to be.

 

As good a way as any to bid the fondest farewells to China and the beautiful people I’ve encountered.  Once again, 谢谢.  Xièxiè.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.