Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Turning the Page

And so with China like the natural fading out of a rung gong, the next chapter has begun. Or rather a short four-day interlude before the next two-week Orff Course. 

 

It started with returning to San Francisco around 12 noon after some 20 hours of travel. Out into the refreshing brisk air and home to a welcome bed for an afternoon horizontal sleep. Another welcome of a pesto pasta dinner, resuming the Shetland TV series my wife and I had put on hold and miraculously staying up until 11 pm and sleeping through the night. 

 

Tuesday was another welcome of getting out to walk again after an exercise fast (minus standing and dancing while teaching) in Hangzhou. Errands in the neighborhood, a stroll through the park, lunch at my daughter’s house, piano playing at the Jewish Home— delightful all! And the sun even came out!

 

Today more taking care of business and starting to pack for the Orff Course and the most delightful surprise of all when I opened my e-mail!! Before leaving for China, I wrote a handwritten letter to Karen Bold in England— see An Extraordinary Tale: Parts I, II, III from my end of May Blogposts. So satisfying to feel this loop completed and looking forward to sending her some photos and sharing more news. Here is what she wrote: 


Hi Doug

 

I was so delighted to receive your letter. A real blast from the past. You are quite the detective!! I remember you both so well.

 

As Ann told you Jim & I moved back to Leeds & we did separate in 1999 but we remained good friends and lived close to each other. In fact during covid he needed a place to stay, as he was due to move, and ended up living with me for 3 months. Sadly in 2022 he had a massive stroke and passed away. The girls & I were with him.

 

Rachel is now 52, Jane 50, & myself 80. 

 

I wanted to acknowledge receipt of your letter & will write more later but have a hectic day ahead. I would also love to hear about your life in these intervening years.

Best wishes

Karen

 

So turning the page of the ongoing stories this morning, how satisfying to discover this ending of a book unfinished over for 48 years! Of course, sad to hear about Jim, but so happy that she is still with us and moved that she indeed remembered us! 

 

It is a strange and marvelous life indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.