Sunday, August 16, 2026

Exercise First

My routine in San Francisco is mostly to stay indoors all morning—writing, answering e-mails, playing piano and such. Then lunch and off somewhere in the afternoon to walk, bike or do errands. But sometimes I reverse it and get out in the early morning and often wonder if that’s not a better routine. Not only the fresher morning air but taking care of some daily exercise quotient first. 

 

That’s what I did this morning, a 25-mile bike-ride on my fat-tire 7-gear bike, huffing and puffing up some steep Northern Michigan back-country hills and arriving back at the house some four hours later. Lunch and then jump in the lake for a 500-stroke swim (did a thousand each of the last two days), the body feeling the sweet ache of pushing it to the edge of its strength. Which leave me with the feeling that now I can do anything without a trace of guilt! Nap! Eat ice cream! Play in my Solitaire tournament! Read for an hour or two! I’ve paid my dues. Exceeded my calorie expenditure and can relax into any small indulgence. It’s a good feeling.

 

Still not convinced to change the daily ritual, especially in San Francisco. But it’s working for me today. I’m off to the beach to lie down and be lazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.