Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Serendipity

 

Serendipity: the ability to find good and valuable things by accident when you’re not looking for them.

 

Synchronicity: a meaningful coincidence where an internal thought or feeling aligns with an external event, even though there is no logical cause-and-effect connection between them.

 

Tonight, if I’m lucky and my name gets chosen from the basket, I’ll tell that story of looking for Jim and Karen Bold in the Yorkshire Dales (see An Extraordinary Tale blogposts, May 30/31st)) at the storytelling venue, The Moth. The theme of the stories is serendipity. While the dictionary definition suggests that such experiences are random accidents, I disagree—they’re signs that when you’re on the right path, invisible forces gather around you and helping hands appear. Perhaps that’s more accurately described as synchronicity (see above), but I think both words are deeply related. As suggested by Goethe:

 

Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation),
there is one elementary truth…
That the moment one definitely commits oneself,
then Providence moves too.
All sorts of things occur to help one
that would never otherwise have occurred.
A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents
and meetings and material assistance,
which no one could have dreamed would have come their way.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

So having just recorded the last of my ABC’s of Education Podcast, I’ve been searching for the next incarnation of it. Suddenly, I’ve gotten e-mails from several of my recent Level III students asking for advice about specific challenges they’re facing. And then I got one from a teacher in Montana who had never studied with me but had read several of my books and my Blog and followed my Podcast. He asked an excellent question that deserved a thoughtful response and I will share both his question and my answer in the next Blog. But the timing of this serendipitous/ synchronistic moment was noteworthy.

 

1)   It came just at the time I was considering continuing the Podcast with questions from teachers about the details of specific issues in their classes which I would address. After the visionary, ideal philosophical perspective of the episodes in the ABC Podcast, this would be a chance to apply the ideas to the practical world of the daily class. 

 

2)   The stunning unexpected surprise is that the inquiry came from the husband of a daughter of a dear friend who died too young some 18 years ago. I occasionally get news of her and knew she was married, but had no idea her husband became a music teacher! Yet another unexpected moment that affirms my intuition that there are mysterious forces at work that give meaning, shape and design to a life. Certainly to mine!

 

Read on for the question and my answer—which may go on to be the first episode of the new Podcast “Season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.