I have never once been, nor aspired to be, a farmer. And yet I’m not only indebted to them for the food on my table, but I admire the great variety of daily chores any farm demands. Feed the chickens, stack the hay, milk the cow, plow the field, plant the garden, mend the fence, harvest the corn, pick the berries, gather the eggs, fix the tractor and so much more. A lot of balls in the air to keep track of and expertly juggle so they don’t crash on your head.
In my life, growing food for the soul through writing, playing music, teaching and such, my days are also filled with a sometimes dizzying array of things to keep track of. Like now. Preparing for my “belated birthday bash” this Saturday that I decided to organize, I’m feeling that “too many balls in the air for my juggling skills” feeling. I’m practicing the music I want to share, gathering the poems I’ve written over the years that I want to read, shopping for the food we need amidst keeping up with my Podcast, writing, teaching, travels soon to come. In the past few days alone, I’ve connected with people on the Nunya Academy (in Ghana) board, the SF Orff Course board, the SF School Alumni Council, the AOSA Conference Chair, a new editor for my books, my Pentatonics Jazz Band, my kids and grandkids, etc. etc. Today I have a Men’s Group meeting and a standing piano playing at the Jewish Home.
Blah blah blah. No one cares about another’s busyness/ business nor should they. I’m just saying it out loud thinking that it might help me juggle it all. But you deserve something more interesting. So having looked back at over a 100 poems I’ve written over the years that I never share—except once read out loud at my 60th birthday party— I’ll choose one to include here and then get on with my day. As should you, knowing all the things that you have to juggle.
The one I’m choosing makes no sense to share now—better to wait until Spring—and will be more meaningful for Orff music teachers than the general reader. But I had forgotten I had written it and got a kick out of it, so here it is:
Spring Concert (Dedicated to music teachers everywhere and with apologies to William Shakespeare):
That time of year thou mayest in me behold
When all that hath been silver,
Must now change into gold.
When that which hath been mere sound,
Must change to pleasing tone,
And played with two swift mallets
Upon the xylophone.
When children casually tinkering,
Must now show what they feel.
Express their deep emotion,
Upon the glockenspiel.
Now merrily the bells doth ring,
With well-shaped mouths, the children sing.
The teachers tense, some close to rage,
Moving hordes of children upon the concert stage.
How shall they enter, go off, which way?
And who knows why Johnny,
Isn’t here today?
Why are all these recorders,
So dreadfully out of tune?
Maybe we can just skip May,
And go straight to June.
Yes, that time of year indeed has come,
To join together bell and drum.
To take off bars, then put them on.
(And just where has that F# gone?)
Make sure each movement’s choreographed.
Precise and joyful, with room for laughs,
Spring Concert’s here, oh, fun! Fun! Fun!
In a mere three days, they’ll be done! Done! Done!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.